On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 10:31:10AM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:

>So those who send patches should expect some feedback or questions as to
>our code.
>
>I submitted a tdfx driver patch on 7th Oct:
>
>> Your submission to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has been assigned the
>> sequence number A.1297.
>
>I would have expected some sort of reply, perhaps one of:
>
> - patch accepted
> - send your patch to xx@yy, maintainer of the tdfx driver
> - we don't understand and won't apply - explain why you do ...
>
>In my case the tdfx driver isn't used so much anymore, less so the XVideo
>support that the patch improves.  Nevertheless, it seems selfish to keep
>the change to myself.

All patch submissions to XFree86 are welcome, but the only guarantee
you get when making a submission is that someone will look at it and
either review it or find someone else to review it.

There is no guarantee about when that will happen, but our goal is that
all submissions received in time for the next release will be reviewed
before that release is finalised.  It's unreasonable to expect the
volunteers who review submissions to do so on your timetable.  Until
it's reviewed, all we can tell you is that we received it and that it's
in our queue (that's what the automated reply does).

Once a submission is reviewed, any of the following may happen:

  1. submission found to be a duplicate, or problem already fixed
  2. committed with or without changes
  3. submitter contacted for further information
  4. held for further review
  5. rejected

For case 1, you probably won't hear anything back.  There's an assumption
that you're following the relevant area of the XFree86 development code,
so you'll already know if the problem you submitted a fix for has since
been fixed.

For case 2, you'll see that the submission has been committed via the
cvs-commit list (http://www.xfree86.org/mailman/listinfo/cvs-commit),
which is archived.  You can also look at the changelog extract on our
web site (http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/changes.html), which is updated
automatically at frequent intervals.  Both your name and the number
assigned to your submission should appear in the commit message and
changelog entry.

In cases 3 and 5 you should be contacted via email.  In case 4 it depends
on the further review.

David
--
David Dawes
Release Engineer/Architect                      The XFree86 Project