Hello,
   I'm experiencing various problems while getting DRI work on my
   Acer Travelmate 612TX. This laptopt is equipped with a i815 chipset
   with shared memory + 11 mb on board. I'm running a linux-from-scratch
   distribution. Initially I used XFree 4.2-release.
   Hope, I'm writing to the right persons...
   First, I installed linux-2.4.20-rc1 to have the latest DRM modules
   installed (i810 1.2.0). Direct rendering was so enabled by the
   Xserver on startup but glxinfo was telling me "direct rendering: No".
   I then applied the patch that SHOULD solve the problem (instead
   of putting a "Option XvMCSurfaces "1") but it didn't work.
   So I tried to update to the latest XFree 4.2-cvs trunk (as suggested
   by some mailing list). Nothing again.
   At this point, using Option XvMCSurfaces to force dri enabling, i tried
   to run glxgears: the result was a series of 4 gears stretched and
   flickering on my screen.
   Then, I download from www.xfree86.org/~alanh the latest i810 kernel module,
   and finally DRI and GL rendering worked, BUT while exiting from the X
   server I experienced a kernel module crash and my screen blanked.
   I can't read (on the screen or into the log) the specific of the kernel
   crash: I can only power down my laptop and cry :)
   Just a moment before of the blank, anyway, I can clearly identify the
   form of a kernel crash, with "Process: X".
   Hope this will help you a little bit in the i810 driver development;
   anyway, if you need more information or some tests on my system, just ask.
   Bye
                Alessio