OK, here is my problem.

Assume I have one pointer (perhaps driven by two mice)
IfI open two wordprocessor documents at the same time, then I use the
pointer to select text or to say which document I'm typing at.
Now, if I have a second pointer and I point one at each document,
which one gets the text when I type ?

That is essentially what the X server has to do the whole time,
so that the correct window gets key presses and mouse clicks.

If I have two browser windows open I might want to click on a link
in each one at the same time, so that they both go to new pages.
But I don't really need a pointer for that at all; the only time
the application needs to know the location of the pointer is when
I click.

The only touch screens I've used have been on things like bank ATMs
and information kiosks. In those applications there is no concept of
the current pointer position, just "screen pressed here" events.

Where does the pointer come in ?

I'm not saying that for a flight simulator it isn't useful to have
more than one mouse or trackball; I'm all in favour of an X
extension for that (I wouldn't be suprised to hear that there
already is one) but that is 2 mice, not 2 pointers.

*Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna