I'm having trouble getting setxkbmap to work.

Here is what I'm doing:

$ setxkbmap -v ar
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
Using command line, ignoring X server
 Trying to build keymap using the following components:
 keycodes:   xfree86
 types:      complete
 compat:     complete
 symbols:    en_US(pc101)+ar+group(ctrl_shift_toggle)
 geometry:   pc(pc101)
 Error loading new keyboard description

I've asked on irc and someone said it always worked for them the 'second
time'. Others have said this was an issue when people had older libraries
(XFree86 3.3.6). I'm not sure what it is, but I'm running XFree86-4.2.

Please advise.
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir