Hi,

i had checkout X yesterday and built it right away. I fired it up, starting
xdm and was not able to Alt-Fx or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
A message in XFree86.0.log shows someting that might be related to it:
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB.
It's not the precise words but I hope you know what it's saying.
Well, then I happened to find out when the problem does not occur: When I
start via startx. No problems with XKB in logfile as well.
But not only when starting via xdm but also when I did:
XFree86 -configure
XFree86 -xf86config ./XF86Config
And I had the same problem. When logged in into a window manager like twm.
The keys just don't react, when a console is focused I get a "P" when
hitting Ctrl-F1 and a backspace when doing ctrl-alt-backspace.
At the login screen of xdm I get beeps when Ctrl-Fx and nothing happens when
doing ctrl-alt-backspace.

I attached my XF86Config and XFree86.0.log.

Best regards,
Axel