Feigning erudition, Herman Buel wrote:
%
% What is the standard way to disable GNOME and only come up with XDM ?

I presume that "Linux 8.0" means Red Hat Linux 8.0 (or perhaps SuSE
or Mandrake) -- there being no such monster as "Linux 8.0" that I'm
aware of. If you are talking about Red Hat Linux 8.0, the way I would
do it is to edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and set DESKTOP="", then to
edit /etc/X11/prefdm and change the line that reads "preferred="
to read "preferred=xdm". If memory serves, you might be able to
use the GUI Login Manager tool to change the display manager, but
I don't use Crimson Fedora, so you're on your own there.

Kurt
--
In Corning, Iowa, it's a misdemeanor for a man to ask his wife to ride
in any motor vehicle.