Dear Arvid,

Thank you for your input. I tested the suggested options and also tried
other JAVA options, but the problem still persists. My problem seems to be
different from the described problem in the mathworks forum: The display is
ok, since I can resize windows without problems and also open figures
without a large delay. The delay happens during startup (it takes ages
initializing) and also changing directories takes minutes.

Thank you
Steffen