On 6/5/06, Colin McDermott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Just a few ideas on this subject.

One thing that I have noticed with Ubuntu is that it is packaging
desktops with applications.
ie XFCE Desktop with Lightweight apps like Abiword, etc.
KDE Desktop with Koffice
Gnome Desktop with OpenOffice.

I don't think that there is an actual reason for a Desktop to be put
with Those applications. Some people may want to run Gnome with
Lightweight apps and others wanting to run XFCE with Openoffice, perhaps
even some wanting to run the KDE Desktop without any applications
installed by default.. Is it an idea to separate the Application
packages away from the Desktop packages. Perhaps then just having a
Xubuntu package that would depend on xubuntu-applications
+xubuntu-desktop and likewise for other Desktops?
> I think it's better if the devteam focusing on polishing XFce for us
> rather than split their resources on an additional wm.

umm .. then it'll not be xubuntu .. i can understand a meta package:

xfce4

... i do not see your point here

I think that instead of splitting resources, people would be more likely
to join the Xubuntu project to develop that WM along with the rest of
the Xubuntu packages. I also don't think that ICEWM will require allot
of maintenance as it is much simpler then XFCE. I believe that most of
the work has already been done on interfaces and the like. Also with GDM
you can just select which Window manager you want anyway, I don't know
if people would need to make a choice at installation.

so .. what's the reason to not include xfce in  ubuntu ? instead of
having ubuntu and xubuntu ?

icewm : xubuntu = xfce : ubuntu

:)

ppl that may need icewm because of xfce needs unavailable resources
... could even install using a netinstall approach .. then an
icewm-meta could be a good idea.

my 0.2 cents

Illés János wrote:
> I think it's better if the devteam focusing on polishing XFce for us
> rather than split their resources on an additional wm.
>
> On 6/5/06, john levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jani Monoses wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > I wrote down a few ideas for edgy here
>> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XubuntuEdgyIdeas
>> >
>> > as it's stated there please discuss anything you want added here
>> first  to
>> > avoid
>> > it ending up as the ProposedApps page.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > Jani
>> >

>> The WM for Ubuntu-Lite is IceWM. Would it be worth adding this to
>> Xubuntu? Certainly not to replace XFCE, but as a lighter alternative.
>> I'm presuming there would be enough room on the cd for both; not sure
>> how we could handle choosing Ice over XFCE during installation.
>>
>> John
>>

>> --

Colin McDermott
Reboot Computer Reuse centre