Sorry - just realized that I'd forgotten to mention I set cc & reply-to on that
last mail to xwin-discuss, since it was all about X, but most of your reply
is stuff about the overall release that should go to advocacy-discuss and/or
indiana-discuss instead.

I'll let you resend it there, and just answer the one X bit here:

Uros Nedic wrote:
>   Also, as far as I could see 2010.02 will have Xorg 1.6.1 version as an
> integral
> part. On a X.org website could be seen in mailing lists that Xorg 1.7.0 will
> be
> released during this summer/fall. Why has been made decision to incorporate
> older
> version?

You misunderstand - no such decision has been made.  All that has been decided
is that we are working on moving to 1.6.1 now (unless 1.6.2 comes out before
it's ready to integrate).   *IF* 1.7 is out before 2010.02 feature freeze next
fall, we'll probably switch to it, but we're not going to sit around waiting
and not upgrading until then.   As I tried explaining before, we don't have a
vast master plan of version updates, but just try to track the community as they
release, when we can.   Decisions about Xorg version upgrades are rarely set
more than a month or two ahead of time - certainly we have no idea now what
versions will line up in time for the 2010.02 schedule, or even more than a
rough idea of when code freeze for that release might be (if we stick to that
release and don't reschedule again).

As for when 1.7 comes out, I doubt you've seen an accurate schedule on the Xorg
site, since I just got the first draft of the new schedule in private mail a
few minutes ago (well after sending the above note) - if we stick to that
schedule at X.Org, then 1.7 will probably make it in time, but as any regular
reader of Phoronix.com knows, X.Org release schedules are notoriously badly
followed and usually missed by somewhere from weeks to months.

        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com