Subject: [pkg-discuss] Request for Code Review & Putback: X packaging changes
for distro import
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 22:11:16 -0700
From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@sun.com>
To: pkg-discuss at opensolaris.org

http://cr.opensolaris.org/~alanc/X-distro-import/ is a webrev
containing changes to distro-import for the X packaging changes
for nv_86, including fixes for these defect.os.o reports:

978 Switch from FSW* to SUNW* packages for X
233 /usr/openwin has outlived its usefulness

978 also fixes 512: 64-bit links for libX11.so.4 are missing in DP2

I believe the fix for 233 should also indirectly solve (by making a
/usr/openwin -> X11 link) these related defects:
  493 Xinitrc.jds calls non-existant xrdb in /usr/openwin/bin
  515 ssh -X fails

It also sets some IPS package versions for SUNW* packages from X
that match a single upstream package (freetype, fontconfig, mesa, &
xcursor-themes).

For simplified review, the webrev shows new files as diffs against
the existing files they were copied from - while this looks like a
move, it is not intended to represent one (I edited the index.html
to clarify this, but the diffs may show it still).

David Comay has reviewed a prior webrev and this includes his
recommended changes.

These changes passed a "make redist_import" and subsequent pkg
install/verify to an alternate root, but have not yet been tested
by running an X desktop on a LiveCD or installed system.   (Sorry,
ran out of time.)

Since I am hours away from leaving on vacation, and since I don't
have write access to the pkg repo, I've also posted the changes as
a hg export that someone can import to their repository and push:

http://cr.opensolaris.org/~alanc/X-distro-import/X-wad.hg-export

My workspace is also available on SWAN at
/net/alf.sfbay/export/alanc/pkg/gate should anyone wish to see
it directly or pull from it.

        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com