On 2013-04-09 Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> * src/xz/message.c (message_help): Cover --uncompress, --to-stdout and
> mention that --memory is alias for --memlimit.

No thanks for these reasons:

  - Those spellings probably shouldn't have been supported in the
    first place.

  - The --help text should be as short as reasonably possible.
    Documenting --uncompress and --to-stdout would add two new lines.

  - Listing just one spelling in the easiest-to-find location
    hopefully encourages people to use only that spelling.

  - People should be able to find the alternative spellings from
    the manual if they find a script that uses those options and
    cannot otherwise guess the meaning of those options.

> * src/xz/xz.1: Mention obsoleted --memory option.

If --memory is marked as an old/alternative spelling, then --to-stdout
and --uncompress should be too. I'm not sure if such a change would
clarify things much.

> * src/xzdec/xzdec.c: Mention --to-stdout and --uncompress option in
> help, better describe why options are ignored and move all ignored
> options to the end of whole list.

I like to keep the order similar to xz --help instead of putting the
ignored options to the end. Now I see that the order didn't match
xz --help or xzdec's man page, so I've fixed it.

I added descriptions but left them in parenthesis even if it looks a
bit silly. This way I find it easier to distinguish the ignored vs.
non-ignored options when skimming the list.

Thanks!

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode