One possibly useful reference:

http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/1766.html

"According to the XML 1.0 spec, an XML doc fetched via some transport defaults
to the transport's encoding, NOT utf-8.  That means that an xml doc (like,
say, a feed) that is fetched via http defaults to iso-8859-1

[...]

This is only true if the encoding is specified by the transport.

Note: with HTTP and a mime type of text/xml without an Omitted Charset, the
default per rfc-3023 is us-ascii.  However, with a mime type of
Application/xml with omitted Charset, the XML declaration is to be respected."

- Whit