I must say I agree with Joshua's approach entirely. In particular, he says "I hold it as some sort of sin to mangle the user's submitted data." Exactly. It would be a sin. As the examples given show, URLs with and without www may be identical, or completely different, or one of them may lead nowhere. So I don't see how this kind of consolidation is possible. On the other hand, the same user might bookmark a URL without the www and later with, or vice versa. In these cases, the two might be "consolidated". However, this is not necessarily the case. The user may intend to bookmark two different URLs, but if consolidated, instead of bookmarking two he might end up only bookmarking one of them. Of course, some people seem to be talking about a different kind of consolidation, which confuses the issue.