There's no easy way to prevent a url from using a password or whatever, since they aren't actually objects that have actions. There's only IP addresses or authentication pairs (username, password, etc)

I don't see this solution particularly different from what I propose aside from making the user do more stuff to authenticate an application.

Joshua

Hi,

regarding remote authorization, the proposed method seems complex.
I suggest the following - each user can have multiple passwords.

1) In "del.icio.us remote auth settings" I can add/delete URLs.
2) Adding an URL returns a new password for my user, that only works
for the given URL.
3) Removing an URL revokes password, thus denying the remote
application's access to my data.
4) del.icio.is keeps a log for each interaction from the remote app -
I can check it and audit what the remote app is doing.
5) I give my del.icio.us username plus my new password to the remote app.

Plus: The user could be able to set permissions for each new URL.
Example: just read,, read/write, just access tags: X1, X2, X2...,
don't access to tags: Y1, Y2..., etc.

Seems more simple and intuitive for the user.

Sérgio Nunes