also, one of my friends wants a tag suggestion engine, in general. Is
this something that del is able to provide or will be able to provide
in the future? If the current API supports this via some kluges I
could try, is it acceptable or would it have a bad perfomance impact
in some way?

we're going to add the information the posting UI gives you soon, but that's probably not enough (and it's an unsubtle algorithm)

I'm guessing that providing a tag suggestion engine would work best if
I had a database of related tags for varying definitions of
relatedness. I could dig around for stuff like that

I read about LSA when I was in school, and maybe there are some public
libraries out there that do that and I'd just have to feed a lot of
text into it? Or perhaps there are publicly available databases of
semantically related terms? This would be a kluge in terms of tag
suggestions because I'm guessing my friend wouldn't want mere
synonyms.

check out wordnet (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/w3wn.html) and lexfn (http://lexfn.com/)

The thing that intrigues me is doing tag suggestions for images. I'd
have to go read up on that. I'm sure that's already out there, but
maybe just in academia?

i think some other startup just started doign that: http://riya.com/

-j