To all,

I share a ~300GB partition between YDL and OSX on both my 12"
PowerBook and G5 Power mac workstation. For a few years now, this
scheme has worked flawlessly, using rsync to migrate data (add,
delete, mod) from one to the other, often more than once a day as I
leave or return to my office.

The formatting of this shared partition is "OSX Extended, Case
Sensitive", but without "Journaling" in order that the YDL kernel may
read/write to this partition, as auto-mounted in /etc/fstab.

However, last week I was playing with Apple's Time Machine (and other
backup software systems to determine which is most appropriate for my
parents' home office. Little did I know that Time Machine modified my
shared Data partition to "OSX Extended, Case Sensitive, Journaled"
without so much as a warning block or query.

It took 2+ hrs to determine whey I could not auto-mount nor manually
mount the /Data partition in read/write mode until a friend suggested
I use Disk Utility to see if Journaling had been enabled. Sure
enough, it had.

Unfortunately, just turning it off does not allow for Linux to again
write to this partition, and so I had to reformat it using OSX with
intent to copy over 200GB of data back to this partition.

Once again, OSX exhibited its independent will and modified my entire
partition table, save the Apple and HFS boot partitions (sda1, sda2),
meaning that I had to modify /etc/yaboot and run ybin in Rescue Mode
from the YDL v6.2 DVD (thank you Owen and Chris for taking my half
dozen exasperated calls today).

8 hours later, I am back up and running on my workstation.

It seems the "simpler" OSX is to use, the more is can really f&%! with
your system, completely out of your control.

If I did not need to review movies for the Almost Famous Film Festival
a few times a year and use iTunes to manage my iPod, I would very
quickly remove it completely from my computers.

Ugh.

BTW, if anyone is interested in how to build a shared partition (which
works very well, if you don't use Time Machine), feel free to contact
me.

kai