WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT?

A little Christmas present for the Yojimbo community. Read on if you want to learn how to:

1) Save ad free web pages to a Yojimbo web archive

2) Be able to mark up (highlight, notes, etc.) web pages before you save them to Yojimbo.

3) Be able to save a selected part of a web page to a Yojimbo web archive.

4) Save static web pages to Yojimbo, web archives that don't try to connect to the Internet to load ads, images, or other content.

WHY GO TO ALL THIS TROUBLE?

1) I want Ad Free Web Pages! I've used Adblock on Firefox for years, so I'm used to seeing web pages without ads. I want the web pages I save in Yojimbo to be ad free as well.

2) I want to be able to mark up web pages. I like highlighting and making notes on many of the articles I read on the web. This method allows me to mark up the web page using Scrapbook on Firefox, then save the marked up page to Yojimbo.

3) I want to be able to save just a part of a web page. Using the Firefox Scrapbook extension's "capture selection" feature, I can save just the part of the page I want to save to Yojimbo.

4) I want to be able to save static web pages to Yojimbo. Yojimbo uses OS X's Web Archive format. While Web Archive has its advantages, it has some downsides as well, the major one for me being that it doesn't save a completely static page. Web Archive files save dynamic elements, most often ads. When you open a web archive file, it's not just pulling data off your computer; it often has to connect to the net to fetch images or ads. This slows down the loading of web archive files. In some cases the slowdown is dramatic, e.g. when you're connected to a wireless network but not the Internet. Any application opening a web archive will waste a lot of time trying to make an Internet connection that doesn't exist.

WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE ALL THIS WORK?

Yojimbo

Firefox
<http://www.getfirefox.com>

Firefox Scrapbook Plugin
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/427>

Firefox AdblockPlus Extension
<http://adblockplus.org/en/installation>
(I recommend subscribing to Rick's EasyList and Rick's EasyElement
lists for optimal ad blockage. <http://easylist.adblockplus.org/>)

QuicKeys or iKey
<http://www.cesoft.com/products/quickeys.html>
<http://www.scriptsoftware.com/ikey/>

SO HOW DOES THIS WORK?

Here's the Reader's Digest condensed version. I use the macro utility (QuicKeys in my case) to automate the following procedure:

  1) Save a web page (or selection from a web page) using the Firefox
     Scrapbook extension. This saves a complete copy of the page to
     the hard drive.

  2) Open the Scrapbook sidebar and choose the page I just saved.

  3) Copy the file URL of the saved page to the clipboard.

  4) Invoke the Yojimbo quick entry panel with the file url of the
     saved web page.

  5) Delete the saved web page from the Firefox Scrapbook.

  6) Tell Firefox to go back to the original web page.

  7) Copy the URL of the original web page to the clipboard.

  8) Save the URL of the original web page to the comments of the
     most recently created Yojimbo item.

SO HOW DO I SET ALL OF THIS UP?

1) Install Yojimbo

2) Make sure Yojimbo's "Recent Items" smart collection is visible.

3) In the Yojimbo Hot Keys preferences, make sure that "Show Quick
   Input panel is set to F8. That's what I've coded into the QuicKeys
   Macro. If you want to change the Hotkey, just make sure you change
   it in Yojimbo and QuicKeys (or iKey).

4) Install Firefox.

5) Install the Firefox Scrapbook extension.

6) Install the Firefox AdblockPlus extension.

7) Subscribe to Rick's EasyList and Rick's EasyElement in
   AdblockPlus. <http://easylist.adblockplus.org/>

8) Install either iKey or QuicKeys. I use QuicKeys, and the macros
   I'm providing are QuicKeys macros. I have not tried doing this
   with iKey, but I have been assured by experienced iKey users that
   iKey can do the same thing.

9) Download the Firefox to Yojimbo folder from my ftp site.

<http://webpages.charter.net/kkirksey/Firefox_to_Yojimbo_Stuff.zip>

This folder contains:

    - My QuicKeys macros for you to import into your QuicKeys.

    - PDFs that show the steps in the QuicKeys macros. If you're using
      iKey, you can use these as a guide to creating your own macros.

    - An AppleScript that copies the contents of the clipboard to the
comments of the last item added to Yojimbo. The macros use this script, but the screenshots I did of the QuicKeys macros don't show all of it. Only needed if you're recreating the macros in iKey.

    - A copy of this README file.

10) Import the macros you downloaded to QuicKeys, or create your own
    macros in iKey.

USING IT 0 - Some Very Important Notes

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE 1: The QuicKeys macros rely on you hitting return when you finish with the Yojimbo quick entry panel. That's how the macro knows to continue. If you click the "create" button or close the Yojimbo quick entry panel any other way, the macro will fail. Actually, it will just
sit there and spin its wheels until you hit return.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE 2: I've been using these QuicKeys macros and can guarantee that they work on my computer. I guarantee that they _should_ work on your computer, but I can't guarantee that they _will_. You'll notice a lot of "Pause for x seconds" steps in the macros where I had to tweak the timing. I've left some wiggle room in the timing, erring on the side of being too long. Even so, you might have to tweak some of the pauses yourself to make thinks work.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE 3: Don't leave any items in the scrapbook in Firefox. The macros count on there only being one item in the scrapbook list: the item you just created.

USING IT 1 - CAPTURING A WHOLE WEB PAGE

1) Open Firefox to a web page that you want to save.

2) Invoke the "Firefox HTML to Yojimbo" QuicKeys macro (or the iKey Macro you created) (default hotkey is ctrl-opt-F8)

3) Watch the macro do its magic. It will eventually bring up the Yojimbo quick entry panel. Enter whatever info you want. Hit return. (See VERY IMPORTANT NOTE 1 above)

4) Watch the macro finish doing its magic.

If you have Adblock Plus enabled, your saved web page will be ad free.

USING IT 2 - CAPTURING A SELECTION FROM A WEB PAGE

1) Open Firefox to a web page that you want to save.

2) Select the part of the web page that you want to save.

2) Invoke the "Firefox HTML Selection to Yojimbo" QuicKeys macro (or the iKey Macro you created) (default hotkey is ctrl-opt-F7)

3) Watch the macro do its magic. It will eventually bring up the Yojimbo quick entry panel. Enter whatever info you want. Hit return. (See VERY IMPORTANT NOTE 1 above)

4) Watch the macro finish doing its magic.

If you have Adblock Plus enabled, your saved web page will be ad free.

USING IT 3 - CAPTURING A MARKED UP WEB PAGE

1) Open Firefox to a web page that you want to markup and save.

2) Capture the page using the Scrapbook extension.

3) Mark up the page to your heart's content. See the scrapbook documentation for details.

4) IMPORTANT: Be sure to save your marked up page. Click the little blue disk icon at the bottom right of the scrapbook window. If you don't save your page, all your markup will be lost.

5) Invoke the "Firefox Scrapbook to Yojimbo" QuicKeys macro (or the iKey Macro you created) (default hotkey is ctrl-opt-F6)