I'm not singling out Rhet, but there are several ideas embodied in this paragraph that bear comment:

If someone from BareBones does pipe in, it's usually to say "We're never going to add that feature. See previous post..." This compares poorly to several other indie-Mac software lists I'm on (such as the forum for Leap and Yep, both excellent applications: http://www.ironicsoftware.com/) where the developer is happy to get feedback on what users actually want and participates in the dialogue.

Let me start off by saying no matter what I, or another Bare Bones representative says, a large number of people will be unhappy. For years we said "Thanks for the feedback, and we'll consider adding this functionality". Then, email every time we shipped an update we'd get a "reminder" email, asking why the feature wasn't in that version. Other people waited and waited for the feature to arrive, but it wasn't going to. I thought that was unfair.

Now, if a feature request has a known disposition, we generally share that answer. Nested folders? No. If you _have_ to have that feature, you will be better off elsewhere. Does this compare "poorly" with other companies? I don't know. I prefer the honest answer, whether it makes people happy or not.

Another assumption (again, not picking on Rhet) is that implementing every feature request is a good idea. If you take a step back and look at the types of requests people make, with rare exception (nested folders, smart collections, better tag management) they are particular to the requester's existing workflow. The "one feature I have to have" is not the one feature you have to have, or Charlie has to have, or probably more than a couple people have to have.

The implied assumption that tends to go along with almost any request is that adding feature X doesn't increase the complexity of Yojimbo. That is untrue.

In a past life, I spent countless hours helping novice Mac users find the files they had lost, because they had no idea where they were saving, or because they saved all their files in the Word folder, and when they updated Word, lost everything. The average computer user is overwhelmed by choices, and as simple as this sounds, every feature or menu item represents a choice. By no means am I the authority on simplicity vs. complexity, but our goal was to make Yojimbo powerful, yet simple to use.

Another interesting belief carried by most power users (and I include myself in this group) is that they are representative of all users. This can't be farther from the truth.

Everybody on this list sees the mailing list posts. I see those, and tech support inquiries. There are more support inquires than there are posts on this list. Way more. I can assure you that everyone on this list is head and shoulders above most customers writing in for help.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. As your reward, a summary of the popular requests, and their status:

    Nested folders: Sorry, no.

    Smart collections: Yes, near the top of the list.

    Better tagging interactions: Nearer the top of the list.

    Stuff nobody has asked for: At the top of the list. And before
anyone asks why stuff nobody asked for is higher up than the
        "one feature I have to have," remember, nobody asked us to
        write Yojimbo, either.

Updates to other Bare Bones products: What do you think we've been
        doing since the last Yojimbo update? :-)

Steve