On Apr 29, 2008, at 6:54 PM, Keith Ledbetter wrote:

On Apr 29, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Scott J. Lopez wrote:

I see a lot of messages out there requsting Yojimbo did a lot of
things it doesn't and I just want to tell the developers I'm quite
happy with Yojimbo the way it is.

I think Yojimbo is a fine little application, too. It's just a shame that because it lacks one feature (nested collections) I had to delete it from my hard drive. I keep monitoring online, and I keep hoping that one day that needed feature will be added. People with as much data as I have can't live without nested collections.

Not to pick on Keith (at all)...

It's almost universal that people who want something new or changed in a piece of software offer a solution (nested collections, for example) rather than an explanation of the problem they're trying to solve that they think their solution addresses. Since the developers have a much deeper, broader and nuanced awareness of what is and is not possible (or even desirable) than the public at large does, it's in best interest of you, as the person who want the change, to couch the request in terms of what you want to achieve rather than the method you imagine would allow you achieve the goal you have in mind. Engineers LOVE to solve problems...

One of the biggest challenges in the world of the Decider of What the New Version Does is inverting all these solution requests into problems.

My 67¢ (used to be 2¢, but with the devaluation of the peso, I mean dollar)...
--
Lorin Rivers
Mosasaur: Killer Technical Marketing <http://www.mosasaur.com>