Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
Panu Matilainen wrote:

The problem with installed() is just that it's the wrong term for this - make it exists() and it'll make sense for all the package sack types. Whether a package is installed or not is just a question whether it exists in rpmdb or not, if you want to keep API compat just make rpmdb.installed() a wrapper for exists().
Sound like a good idea, it still keeps the api simple.

Somewhat related, IMO the installed() method belongs to the package, not sack object. So something like

for pkg in installable:
if self.rpmdb.installed(po=pkg):
# do stuff

would become

for pkg in installable:
if pkg.installed():
# do stuff

..but that's another story, dunno how feasible it'd be within yum currently (sorry I haven't been paying that much attention lately)
Sound like a great idea, but can be tricky to implement.
a YumInstalledPackage know it is installed, but a YumAvailablePackage dont know if it is installed, I know it is available in a repo, but it dont know if it is installed on the system.

Yup, the package object would have to know about rpmdb then which is probably not that clean. A simple solution would be to move the installed() method to a higher level object that knows about rpmdb, such as YumBase. Basically

class YumBase:
def installed(self, po):
return self.rpmdb.exists(po)

and the above example would become