Thank you to everyone who has helped so far! What we can concretely offer
is below under "What you can expect". We totally understand you maintainers
are busy so the process is designed to be easy for those who participate.
We also have a budget to compensate maintainers who help out directly (that
can go to a nonprofit of the project's choice as well).

Our first team of security experts is ready to meet the week of December
5th if you'd like to participate.

p.s The OSTIF team plans to be in Brussels for fosdem so we hope to see
some of you there!

Thank you and let me know who would like to participate.

- Amir

What you can expect

Here are what we’re going to do (and need your help with) in a nutshell:

   -

   We’ll Perform an Initial Assessment
   -

      Meet with you to better understand and ask questions about your
      package – its architecture, design choices, known issues, and so on
      -

      Install Scorecard <https://github.com/ossf/scorecard#overview> if you
      don’t already have it – this evaluates your environment against a set of
      SDLC best practices (see https://securityscorecards.dev/ for more
      info) – and identify opportunities to improve low-scoring checks
      -

      Perform a quick code review, get your package to build, check for
      quality and best practices
      -

      Assess whether your package would benefit from fuzzing and is
      compatible with our OSS-Fuzz <https://google.github.io/oss-fuzz/>
      offering.
      -

      Assess whether your package would benefit from SLSA
      <https://slsa.dev/> and/or SBOM

<https://security.googleblog.com/2022/06/sbom-in-action-finding-vulnerabilities.html>,
      software supply chain integrity (SSCI) technologies (for example, do your
      users commonly build from source or consume binaries that you build?)
      -

   If Warranted, We’ll Proceed with an In-Depth Review
   -

      Perform an targeted code review on your package to identify security
      vulnerabilities or recommended defense-in-depth fixes
      -

      If applicable, integrate your package with the OSS Fuzz offering and
      tune it to achieve maximum coverage.
      -

      Improve eligible Scorecard check scores
      -

      Assist you with deploying SLSA and SBOM

Here’s what we’ll ask you to do:

   -

   During the Initial Assessment
   -

      Meet with us and our partners in a “kick-off” meeting where we’ll ask
      you a number of questions about your package and how it works to build a
      shared threat model and scope the review
      -

   During Our In-Depth Review
   -

      Assist us with onboarding your package to OSS-Fuzz if applicable, and
      you’ll be compensated for doing so
      -

      Assist us with improving the Scorecard checks we recommend, and
      you’ll be compensated for each
      -

      Assist us with implementing SLSA and SBOM, if applicable, and you’ll
      be compensated for doing so
      -

   After our In-Depth Review
   -

      Review the security vulnerabilities we find (if any) and our
      recommended defense-in-depth fixes (if any), and remediate each
      vulnerability within a reasonable timeframe (we’ll work this out with you
      when the time comes), and you’ll be compensated for each
      -

      If applicable, produce a new build that includes all of the
      improvements made during this process

--
*Amir Montazery*
Managing Director