[Imagine having to get a prescription for garlic, haldi and neem! India has
already grovelled on patent rights, so that seems the next logical step towards
a healthy India. Anyway, here's how the WHO operates in the mother country.
- ZESTAlternative Desk]

CODEX Update

Can you afford to pay $100/Month for each and every vitamin and mineral
supplement you take?

Read this very important health message below and contact everyone in the
suggestions.

Your right to choose your herbal, mineral and other supplements may end in June
of this year (2005).  After that U.S. supplements will be defined and
controlled by the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the World Health
Organization (WHO).  The CODEX ALIMENTARIUS (Food Code) is setting the
supplement standards for all countries in the WTO.  They will be enforced by
the WTO and will override U.S. laws.  The U.S. President and Congress agreed to
this take-over when the WTO Treaty was signed. Violations are punished by WTO
trade sanctions.

CODEX drastically restricts vitamins, minerals, herbs and other supplements.
CODEX met secretly in November, 2004 and finalized Step 8 (the final stage) to
begin implementation in June, 2005.

The CODE includes:

(1) No supplement can be sold for preventive or therapeutic use.

(2) Any potency higher than RDA (minimal strength) is a drug requiring a
prescription and must be produced by drug companies. Over 5000 safe items now
in health stores will be banned, terminating health stores as we now know them.

(3) CODEX regulations become binding internationally.

(4) New supplements are banned unless given very expensive CODEX testing and
approval.

CODEX now applies to Norway and Germany, among others, where zinc tablets rose
from $4 per bottle to $52.  Echinacea (an ancient immune-enhancement herb) rose
from $14 to $153 (both examples are now allowed by prescription only).  They
are now drugs.  Vitamin C above 200 mg, niacin above 32 mg, vitamin B6 above 4
mg, all are banned over-the-counter as drugs.  No amino acids (arginine,
lysine, carnitine, etc. == essential amino acids!), essential fatty acids
(omegas 3, 6, 9, etc.), or other essential supplements such as DMEA, DHEA,
CoQ10, MSM, beta-carotene, etc. are allowed.

The CODEX rules are not based on real science.  They are made by a few people
meeting in secret (see web sites below), not necessarily scientists.  In 1993
the FDA and drug corporations tried to put all supplements under restriction
and prescription.  But over 4 million Americans told Congress and the President
to protect their freedom of choice on health supplements.  The DSHEA Law was
passed in 1994, which does protect our freedom of choice.  But this will be
over ruled by CODEX and the World Trade Organization.  Virtually nothing about
it has been in the media.  What the drug corporations have failed to do through
Congress they have gotten by sneak attack through CODEX with the help of a
silent media.

What can be done at this late hour?

(1) Spread the word as much as possible.  Inform yourselves fully at
www.ahha.org, www.iahf.com, and www.alliance-natural-health.org.

(2) Oppose bills S.722 and H.R.3377.  These support the CODEX restrictions with
U.S. laws, changing the DSHEA law.

(3) Support H. R.1146 which would restore the sovereignty of the U.S.
Constitution over CODEX, etc.

(4) Express your wishes to the President, Senators and Representatives  (Click
the link to find yours.) ASAP.

(5) Contact multi-level health marketing groups that can get their members to
inform the government.

(6) Send donations, however small, to the British Alliance for Natural Health
(see web site above).  It has succeeded in challenging the CODEX directives in
World Court later this month or next.  They need help financially, having
carried the fight effectively for everyone.

CODEX and the FDA wish to protect us by controlling supplements in the same way
they do prescription drugs.  A study of the latter by three medical scientists
was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association, April 15, 1998
Vol. 279, No. 15, p. 1200.  Incidence of Adverse Drug Reactions (ADRs) was
found to be extremely high.  Covering 30 years (1966 to 1996) it was found that
in the U.S. an average of 106,000 hospitalized patients per year (290 per day)
die from ADRs and 2,200,000 need more hospitalization for recovery.  These were
FDA approved drugs, properly administered by competent professionals in
hospitals --none were considered malpractice. This is the number four cause of
death in the U.S. When combined, these account for 7% of all hospitalized
patients.  This is equivalent to a 9-11 attack every ten days.  There are very
few fatalities from supplements or the news would be on every front page.
There is no need for more FDA control of supplements than is already in place,
which is substantial.  Instead of drastically restricting supplements, why
doesn't the FDA better control and restrict the extremely dangerous
pharmaceutical drugs which are now killing us at the rate of a major airline
crash per day?

Wallace G. Heath, Ph.D.
1145 Marine Drive Bellingham , WA 98225

* * *

Because America is part of the World Trade Organization, what happens in
Europe, will happen here, and doesn't even require a vote in congress. How? The
following is from the FDA's own web site:

International Harmonization
The harmonization of laws, regulations and standards between and among trading
partners requires intense, complex, time-consuming negotiations by CFSAN
officials. Harmonization must simultaneously facilitate international trade and
promote mutual understanding, while protecting national interests and establish
a basis to resolve food issues on sound scientific evidence in an objective
atmosphere. Failure to reach a consistent, harmonized set of laws, regulations
and standards within the freetrade agreements and the World Trade Organization
Agreements can result in considerable economic repercussions.
[http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/int-laws.html]

We are creating a page for updates on CODEX.
The latest update will be at the top.
Check often to see what
you can do:
CODEX
(put it in your favorite places and check back often)
Another good link is:
www.healthfreedomUSA.org

To see what CODEX is doing in Europe and how it WILL affect us, Click Here.

NOW HEAR THIS
Senator Durbin Sponsors Dietary Supplement Congressional Briefing

Guess who he's meeting with to determine the "safety" of vitamins and
supplements?

The American Society for Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics (ASCPT), the
American Society for Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET), and the
Society of Toxicology.

All of these organizations profit from our being ill. They WANT us to be ill,
so they can sell us their drugs. They make NOTHING if you are healthy.

Remember Ephedra? No one died last year due to Ephedra. They died abusing
Ephedrine, a highly concentrated form of Ephedra.

One hundred people a year die from Tylenol. But they're not about to take it
off the market.

The purpose of the January 31st briefing entitled, "Botanical Dietary
Supplements: Scientific Perspectives and Public Health Pitfalls." was to
reexamine dietary supplements and the scientific, legal and regulatory
frameworks surrounding this multi-billion dollar industry. The briefing's
organizers have positions favoring strict regulation for dietary supplement and
are heavily supported by pharmaceutical companies.

Time to contact Senator Durbin and explain to him that we know that the
pharmaceutical industry has him in their deep pockets. That we will not allow
anyone to restrict our freedoms to care for ourselves and choose health over
pharmaceutical illness.

Write to him here: http://www.senate.gov/~durbin/sitepages/contact.cfm

Call his offices and make sure he knows that we know that he is derelict in his
duty by supporting the moneyed interests and not his constituents.

      Washington, DC
      332 Dirksen Senate
      Office Bldg.
      Washington, DC 20510
      (202) 224-2152
      (202) 228-0400 - fax
     Chicago
      230 South Dearborn St.
      Suite 3892
      Chicago, IL 60604
      (312) 353-4952
      (312) 353-0150 - fax
     Springfield
      525 South 8th St.
      Springfield, IL 62703
      (217 ) 492-4062
      (217) 492-4382 - fax
     Marion
      701 N. Court St.
      Marion, IL 62959
      (618) 998-8812
      (618) 997-0176 - fax

Beyond Durbin; Beyond CODEX...

Health freedom is still under attack in this country at this very moment and
we're not going to stop telling you this till FREEDOM comes to America.

As Edward R Murrow once said, "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it
at home."

Anyone interested in Health Freedom must visit the Citizens For Health web
site. Go to the Action Center and start writing letters. Write letters, get on
the phone, make calls. When our Senators and Representatives introduce
legislation or vote on legislation that restricts our choices, THEY ARE WORKING
AGAINST THEIR CONSTITUENTS' INTERESTS. They are working FOR the Pharmaceutical
Companies. In the end, it is we the people who determine who gets to serve us
in Washington, and serve us they'd better.

Ephedra was taken off the market to protect the Pharmaceutical Industry, not to
protect you. If you take Ephedra correctly, it is safer than Tylenol®.

There are more lobbyists for the Pharmaceutical Industry than there are
representatives and senators. The Pharmaceutical Interests have very deep
pockets, and they have nearly every one of the people we sent to Washington
inside them.

At latest count, there were 685 lobbiests for the phamaceutical industry, but
only two for patient rights.

Only 13% of Americans trust the Pharmaceutical Companies, but money talks and
they still control legislation. If we don't do something quickly, we'll all be
worse off for it. Visit Citizens For Health.

Volunteers Wanted

We would like to give each senator and representative (to include up and coming
candidates for both positions) a report card on Health Care Freedom. We need
people to investigate their senators and representatives from their states;
look at their voting records; call their offices; ask some hard questions. If
you are interested, please write to Yes I Want To Volunteer, and do it soon. We
will disseminate this information to all health freedom sites so that those
"servants" in Washington who are working against our best interests, working to
restrict our freedoms are put on notice that they might soon be retired from
office. Please help out. It is a lot harder to reverse a rotten law than it is
to stop legislation from becoming a rotten law.

_________________________________

"He who lives by medical prescriptions lives miserably."

Proverb

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/PMYolB/TM

This is ZESTAlternative, whose members circulate an article every alternate day
on alternative modes to dominant ways of thinking in the modern world. Members
are allowed to respond to an article but not initiate new discussions.

If you got this mail as a forward, join ZESTAlternative by sending a blank mail
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or, if you have a Yahoo! ID, visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTAlternative/join/

Yahoo! Groups Links