http://www.gorkhapatra.org.np/content.php?nid=28841

Life not shining for polishing shoes   [ 2007-10-17 ]
By A Staff Reporter
Kathmandu, Oct. 16: Krishna Bahadur Nepali arrives early in the
morning at Damkal Chowk of Lalitpur from Dhapakhel and spreads his
paraphernalia at the roadside. He spends the whole day by mending and
brushing shoes.

Despite his hard work, his problem of survival still remains as it was
before. "All my earnings go into buying food and we do not think about
anything but two square meals a day,? Nepali said.

With the regular work on the street for years, he has not seen any
sign of change in his life.
"Unlike in the past it is hard to earn two meals. Our traditional
means of livelihood of sewing and mending shoes is ignored and the
ever swelling market price has added the woes,? he said.

He earns about Rs. 200 in a day by spending the day out in the open
and polluted streets. He said, ?It is hard to survive and I am the
only one to manage the household expenses.?

Krishna worries about the future of his four children who are also
illiterate like him. "We are facing problems of feeding and educating
our children,? he said.

Sanubhai Paheli, 50, of Bhaisepati in Lalitpur district has also been
facing the same problem like Krishna. He has been doing the work as a
shoe mender for the past thirty years at Damkal Chwok, but nothing in
his life changed in the subsequent years. "Things have changed a lot
in and around this place but for me nothing has changed. I was
struggling for two meals before and I have not done anything except
adding some children,? Paheli said.

He is well aware of the political changes of the country, but said
that the plight of the people like him has not been improved. Paheli
has so many problems but forgetting all these demands he only wishes
that the government gave him one umbrella to protect his elderly body
from rain and sun.

Paheli lamented that due to the increasing use of imported shoes,
their profession of making shoes has fallen under the shadow.

"Modernity rendered us helpless. Neither the Shoe Company has utilized
our skills, nor the government has provided any skill oriented
training for us,? Bal Ram Nepali said. He thinks that the government
has not been paying attention towards their problem.

More than hundred shoemakers have been continuing their traditional
profession of mending shoes. However, those people who shine others'
shoes have not been able to shine their fate. "None of the governments
supported our profession. All are same for us,? he said.

Reluctant to talk to any press reporter, Bal Ram said it was
meaningless talking to the press and politician. "I do not want to
expose my reality because none of you take our demands seriously.?

These homeless and land-less shoemakers expressed contentment in the
sense that they are getting opportunity to stay on the street without
fear. "During the Royal period, we were often chased from the street
but the democratic government is not doing so,? Bal Ram said.

Binod Pahadi, a dalit rights activist, stressed the problems of lower
caste communities and said that the problems were not solved even
after the success of peoples movement in Nepal. "Government has not
given any thought toward addressing the problems of dalits. Different
NGOs and INGOs have been earning a lot in the name of dalits. But
those dalits are always suffering,? Pahadi said.