http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090919/jsp/nation/story_11514157.jsp

Dalit leader evicted, Cong office ransacked
OUR CORRESPONDENT

Athawale
New Delhi, Sept. 18: Dalit leader Ramdas Athawale, who was evicted
today from his posh Lodhi estate bungalow here, alleged that the
Congress was victimising him for his refusal to offer support to the
party in the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly elections.

Supporters of Athawale, who is the president of the Republican Party
of India (RPI), vandalised the Congress office in South Mumbai. The
air-conditioned office, which was renovated and re-christened Rajiv
Gandhi Bhavan and inaugurated by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi a few
days ago, bore the brunt of the fury of Athawale’s supporters, 23 of
whom were arrested later.

Athawale sort of defended the vandalism, saying he had no regrets
about it as the eviction had hurt “popular Dalit sentiments”.

RPI, which was a close ally of the Congress, recently broke away from
the party to join the third front ahead of the Assembly elections in
Maharashtra, scheduled for October 13.

Athawale, who has been staying in the bungalow for the past 12 years
having been a four-time MP, lost from Shirdi in the last general
elections. He was served a notice to move out of the house on August
12 and was given a month’s time.

Urban development ministry sources said officials had visited the
bungalow several times to remind Athawale’s staff as it had already
been allotted to a newly elected MP.

September 3 was the last day of the notice after which the leader was
given 15 more days to pack up. Today officials emptied the house
completely. But unlike yesterday when BJP MP Nand Kumar Sai’s
belongings were dumped on the street outside his flat, Athawale’s
belongings were kept in the yard.

Athawale, who is in Maharashtra preparing for the polls, said it was
“politically motivated”.

“It’s a vendetta by the Congress against me. They are targeting me
because I rejected their offer of contesting elections with them. This
is how the Congress has repaid me for the friendship and loyalty that
I had shown for the past 19 years,” he said.

“They deliberately gave me the Shirdi seat this time. Senior leaders
of the Congress party are politicking against us. They are targeting
me because I am a Dalit. I had asked the Lok Sabha house committee to
give me three-four months’ time to vacate the house,” he added.

Athawale’s allegation of caste bias by the Congress comes close on the
heels of Sai accusing the ministry of picking him because he belonged
to the Scheduled Caste.

However, ministry officials refuted these allegations.

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with
like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to
zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank
mail to zestcaste-subscr...@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: