Hello Patrick,

thanks for contributing.
I would like to point you to these links, which help you to understand
Apache and how it all works:

* http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
* http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Additionally its a good idea to attach your patch to the ticket in
Jira directly. Please don't forget to check the check box which allows
developers to include your code. Having a signed CLA is always a good
idea if you are interested in contributing more stuff. A "formal
application" is not necessary anyway, A project elects its committers
after after a contributor has shown a understanding and "commitment".

Best regards,
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de