Hi,

Just to introduce myself, I'm Henri Bergius, one of the core
developers of the Midgard framework. Midgard is one of the oldest open
source web frameworks / CMSs for PHP. Midgard is a bit unique that in
addition to the actual web layer written in PHP we have a content
repository[1] that our system uses for all persistent data storage
written in C (well, Vala in the next iteration, but C is what Vala
anyway generates), with PHP-level access coming from a specific
extension. Midgard has always focused on clean URLs, flexible
templating, valid mark-up, integration with third party web services
and high level of security.

Personally I've been frustrated for a long time with the lack of a
generic PHP ecosystem. As PEAR has largely stagnated, almost all
interesting library and tool work happens either in complete isolation
or within more specific ecosystems like Drupal, ZF, Midgard etc. I see
the introduction of Zeta Components into Apache as a promising
development that might be the beginning of a generic PHP code-sharing
ecosystem[2].

As such, this is an area that both myself, and the Midgard Project in
general should be interested in.

So, how to get started? I guess the main thing is to get familiar with
the existing Zeta Components, and then to start thinking of what of
those we could use within our framework, and what parts of our
framework could be contributed back to Zeta. Some low-hanging fruit
could include:

* Geolocation library: https://github.com/bergie/midgardmvc_helper_location
* Our MVC framework: https://github.com/midgardproject/midgardmvc_core
* Midgard provider for the Zeta Database layer
* Midgard provider for the Zeta authentication layer
* Maybe Alexey's PHP Application Server:
https://github.com/indeyets/appserver-in-php

If collaboration on some of these would sound good, I'll be happy to
start the discussion in the Midgard end of things.

1: http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/what_is_a_content_repository/
2: http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/php-finally_getting_an_ecosystem/

--
Henri Bergius