James Pic wrote:
Hi Gaetano

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Gaetano Giunta
<giunta.gaet...@gmail.com>  wrote:
To me, the way the components work often feels like blackmagick: sometimes
it is logical, but more often it's just like incantations. The example
spells given in the docs are fine, but as soon as you stray a little bit
from those, you're on your own - either it works at the very first try or it
becomes a thankless test/change/repeat loop (eg. sometimes a certain mix of
options work, and another mix does not work, or some methods have to be
invoked in a particular order).
Looks like a hacker thing :D

Isn't that how pretty much all libs, frameworks, and programming
languages work in general ?
Sure enough.

Surely everybody on this list is knowledgeable about good api design principles, so I'll not spend time talking about simplicity, consistency, discoverability, resistence to misuse, absence of side effects.

I guess in the end it's a matter of coding style / personal preferences for 50%
and a measurable thing for 50%.

What lib/program/framework does it better than the components and why ?
Completely unrelated, but the Delphi VCL is the lib I have the fondest memories
of.

Otoh debugging Symfony for 3 days brought me to the conclusion that the smartness of the code that Fabien likes to write puts it beyond mere mortals comprehension, and no advantages gained in reduced lines of code, extensibility and execution speed are worth it in the end (this was confirmed by reading his slide set about dependency injection in php 5.3).

But maybe it's just me getting old and having a hard time learning new styles /
paradigms... :-)
Regards

James