At 06:16 PM 9/8/2003 -0600,St Steven wrote:
Help. I'm in need of a quote. It's a quote from General Conference which says (paraphrased) that in the coming years there will be greater and greater division of the righteous from the wicked. That the righteous will get more righteous and the wicked more wicked, or words to that effect. There must be someone here will have that at their fingertips <grin>.

I, too, remembered that one, but had not been able to remember when. I just did a search and have come up with the following from the April 1983 Conference, Elder Dean L. Larson. It is pretty much as I remembered hearing it. They are wise words with which I have tried to guide my life since then. As he says, it's not always easy. I often see the Saints following a few steps behind (myself included, embarrassed to say).

<begin quote>

The challenging conditions we find in the world today should be no surprise to us. As we approach the time of the Saviors return, wickedness will increase. There will be more temptations in our daily lives, and they will become more intense. It will become more acceptable in the world to break the laws of God or to disregard them altogether. The stigma attached to immoral, dishonest behavior will disappear.

In this difficult environment we will be expected to steer our own course in an upward direction. As President Kimball has warned us, it will neither be acceptable nor safe to remain on the plateaus where our present conduct has kept us. Abrupt downward forces, represented by increasing wickedness in the world, can only be offset by forces that move correspondingly upward. Our lives must be better than they have ever been before. This simply means that we will become increasingly different from those around us whose lives follow the worlds way. It is not easy to be different. There are intense pressures that work against us. But we must clearly understand that it is not safe to move in the same direction the world is moving, even though we remain slightly behind the pace they set. Such a course will eventually lead us to the same problems and heartaches. It will not permit us to perform the work the Lord has chosen us to do. It would disqualify us from his blessing and his protecting care.

The Lord has said that the time will come when there will be an entire separation of the righteous and the wicked.(<HTTP://Scriptures.lds.org/dc/63/54#54>D&C 63:54.) Nephi, in the Book of Mormon, said, For the time speedily cometh that the Lord God shall cause a great division among the people, and the wicked will he destroy.(<HTTP://Scriptures.lds.org/2_ne/30/10#10>2 Ne. 30:10.)

As we consider these promises, we should not forget the warning given by the Lord to the Latter-day Saints. Nevertheless, Zion shall escape if she observe to do all things whatsoever I have commanded her.
<end quote>

Till