That's somewhat of a fallacious generalization, John.  Yes, it is
difficult and it takes time.  But you know what, in business management
terms, we see change as requiring time. When a business changes its
culture, it requires years for the complete change over. Behaviorists
will tell you that normally 20-30% will quickly adapt to the change, The
middle 30% adapt over several months to a year, with a large number of
stragglers that take a long time. Then there are those who never adapt,
who end up leaving the company for another with a culture similar to
what they used to know.

So it is in society. For the Western nations (English speaking
primarily), they took centuries to adapt.  But Japan and South Korea are
awesome democracies (non-English speaking) that have learned the values
of freedom over a period of less than 50 years.  A long time when one
thinks of how impatient Americans are, but rather quick in geological
terms.  Why did Moses keep Israel in the wilderness for 40 years? It
would take that long for those with centuries-long slave mentality to be
replaced by a generation of people with a new non-slave culture and
mentality.  So it is with nations.

It might take Iraq 40-50 years to switch over to a strong democracy. So
what? It means our grandchildren's children will live in a world with
one more free nation that isn't run by radical kooks.

Cultures can change. It takes time. But I have a long term view of these
things. I'm glad our forefathers also had such a long term vision,
otherwise they might have given up at Valley Forge or when the Articles
of Confederation failed.

Gary Smith

John W. Redelfs wrote:

> Tom Matkin wrote:
> > > The USA and her allies will successfully establish democratic rule in
> > > Iraq.
> > >
> > > A. Certainly
> > > B. Probably
> > > C. Maybe
> > > D. Unlikely
> > > E. Certainly not
> >
> >E. Certainly not.  Democratic rule is a privilege that must be earned.
> >The people of Iraq cannot have it given to them or established for them
> >any more than I can give someone else my own character or discipline.
> >All the USA can do is try to improve the circumstances for the growth of
> >democracy.  In most cases those interventions seem to about as
> >successful as premature efforts interventions to help a chick hatch.
>
> I strongly agree with you, Tom.  Freedom, and the western democratic
> traditions that establish and maintain freedom are a cultural
> phenomenon,
> not something that can be imposed from above.  The roots of freedom in
> the
> west go back in the English speaking cultures to medieval Britain.  That
> is
> why we have democracy in the USA, Canada, Australia, and a few other
> places.  That is also why democracy is so tentative on the European
> continent, and almost nonexistent in non western nations.  Democracy is
> mind set that is engendered in families that understand and value
> fundamental, God-given human rights.  Those families are almost all
> English
> speaking.
>

> John W. Redelfs                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "I know of nothing in the history of the Church or in the
> history of the world to compare with our present
> circumstances. Nothing happened in Sodom and
> Gomorrah which exceeds the wickedness and depravity
> which surrounds us now."  --President Boyd K. Packer,
> February 28, 2004
> All my opinions are tentative pending further data. --JWR

Gerald (Gary) Smith
geraldsmith@ juno.com
http://www.geocities.com/rameumptom