On Nov 1, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Matt Hamilton wrote:

David Binger <dbinger <at> mems-exchange.org> writes:

On Nov 1, 2007, at 7:05 AM, Matt Hamilton wrote:

Ie we perhaps look at a catalog data structure
in which writes are initially done to some kind of queue then moved
to the
BTrees at a later point.

A suggestion: use a pair of BTrees, one with a high branching factor
(bucket size)
and one with a very low branching factor.  Force all writes into the
tree with little
buckets.  Make every search look in both trees.  Consolidate
occasionally.

An interesting idea. Surely we need the opposite though, and that is an additional BTree with a very large bucket size, as we want to minimize the chance of a bucket split when inserting? Then we occasionally consolidate and move the items in the original BTree with the regular bucket size/ branch factor.

maybe.  haven't thought it through, but worth thinking about.

idle thought I should probably not share:

you could use a Bucket directly for that--it will never split at all, and has the conflict resolution behavior.

(strangely, I'm not idle at all, but rather overwhelmingly busy ;-) )

Gary