On 10/15/07, Andrew Blatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I try and patch a server with this patch and I get /var/run full:
>
> # df -k /var/run
> Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
> swap                   20480   20480       0   100%    /var/run

Do you really have that little RAM or did you set a limit on the size
of /var/run (mount -o size=20M)?

It looks as though things that are going to need a non-trivial amount
of temporary space should check to be sure that this space is
available.  Rather than relying upon /var/run to provide this space
(historically this has been pid files, etc. and setting a limit in
vfstab sounds reasonable) perhaps the patching utilities should mount
up their own tmpfs file system as needed.

Ideally there would be an option to a tmpfs mount to reserve the
required amount of swap (virtual memory, not blocks in swap device).
This would mean that critical operations stand less of a chance of
getting messed up by the system running short of memory during
patching operations.  Perhaps a ramdisk would be better suited, but I
assume that the "ram" part of the name implies bad things on systems
without a lot of RAM.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/