We just need a unique identifier for every server. If such an identifier "magically" appears somehow, then I believe our protocols will be equally happy. Now, a mechanism to assign ids would also have to take into consideration the group scheme we have for hierarchical quorums. To assign servers to groups, we currently use the identifiers we assign manually to servers. If we don't have such identifiers, then we need a different way of configuring groups.

-Flavio