Sounds like a useful utility, the closest that I know of is this:
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/api/org/apache/zookeeper/server/LogFormatter.html
but it just dumps the txn log. Seems like it would be cool to be able to
open a "shell" on the datadir and query it (separate from running a server).

Another option is to just copy the datadir and start a standalone zk
instance on it. You can then use the std zk shell to query it.

Patrick

ps. I had worked on something similar in python a while back:
http://github.com/phunt/zk-txnlog-tools/blob/master/parse_txnlog.py