On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Tim Robertson
<timrobertson...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are setting up a small Hadoop 13 node cluster running 1 HDFS
> master, 9 region severs for HBase and 3 map reduce nodes, and are just
> installing zookeeper to perform the HBase coordination and to manage a
> few simple process locks for other tasks we run.
>
> Could someone please advise what kind on heap we should give to our
> single ZK node and also (ahem) how does one actually set this? It's
> not immediately obvious in the docs or config.

The amount of heap necessary will be dependent on the application(s)
using ZK, also configuration of the heap is dependent on what
packaging you are using to start ZK.

Are you using zkServer.sh from our distribution? If so then you
probably want to set JVMFLAGS env variable. We pass this through to
the jvm, see -Xmx in the man page
(http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/java/)

Given this is Hbase (which I'm reasonably familiar with) the default
heap should be fine. However you might want to check with the Hbase
team on that.

I'd also encourage you to enter a JIRA on the (lack of) doc issue you
highlighted:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER

Regards,

Patrick