Hi Sergey,

I guess my primary goal in maintaining this code is to try to find the simplest and most directed fix unless a rewrite is in order - i.e. simply normalizing incoming empty clips so that we end up in a stable "clip is empty" state would be my preference, but perhaps the proposed fix isn't so complicated that I need to worry about that.

I've looked deeper into the various Rectangle methods and found lots of little issues with the way that the various bounds methods on Rectangle/Rectangle2D are implemented that complicate all of this. I think a larger rewrite of the clip maintenance code is likely in order at some point. In particular, while your changes have shifted from one set of problematic bounds-setting code to another and may have solved some test case we are currently looking at, I'm not convinced that other bugs, or perhaps even just as many different bugs, are not waiting to bite us with the new code. :(

In the meantime, with respect to the new method you've added, I'd like to see the following changes:

- The method has nothing really to do with "normalizing a matrix" and is probably misled by the fact that the "matrix" variable in the calling method should never have been called "matrix" in the first place since it is really just a list of coordinates. I'd suggest a name better suited to its purpose, like "fixRectangleOrientation" or "checkEmptyRectangle".

- For performance - rather than call signum 4 times, why not use more direct tests like:

    if ((clip.getWidth() > 0) != (m[2] - m[0] > 0))
    // i.e. we only care if their "non-emptiness" is different
or:
    if (clip.getWidth() * (m[2] - m[0]) < 0)
    // i.e. we only care if their non-zero size is flipped

- I still think that we don't owe anybody any need to preserve the size of the empty clip so the adjustments for cases that fail the above tests could simply be "m[2] = m[0]" and thus we get an empty result. Why did you feel that we need to maintain the sizes of empty rectangles? Was it just JCK test failures? Does flipping the results keep us from failing those tests?

Eventually I'd like to see the following simplifications to our SG2D clip handling:

- we only keep a shape around so we can return a shape and we spend a lot of time maintaining it. I'd like to see the shape be only optionally kept if there is a non-rectangle handed in. Otherwise we just maintain the clipRegion.

- we use Area to intersect non-rectangular shapes even though it is rare for anyone to call getClip() and even rarer that they do anything with it except to use setClip() on it to restore the clip. I'd rather see keeping an array of the incoming shapes, return a special object from getClip() that just holds that array, and then on setClip() simply restore the region - thus avoiding ever having to use Area. Only if they actually iterate the path of the returned getClip() would it dynamically use Area on the fly to produce that path iteration.

- Avoid use of methods on Rectangle[2D] and write our own code that ensures that we perform the correct flipping and integer normalization. Most of that would happen in the Region bounds code if we do the above anyway and that code is much simpler than some of the corresponding methods on Rectangle[2D], plus we can fix bugs in there without worrying about possibly changing the behavior for other apps that may have started to rely on what we see as "bugs".

                        ...jim