Hello Jim.

On 1/17/13 4:56 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
The original code in getClipBounds would end up returning a "new Rectangle()" if the clip was an empty rectangle due to the way that "Rectangle2D/Path2D.getBounds()" works. You now use setFrame(getBounds2D()) which will attempt to preserve the dimensions of empty clips. So, the "preserve the size of an empty clip" support is new.

I then mentioned that we don't need to go out of our way to preserve the dimensions of an empty clip, but you seem to be saying that we don't want to change this behavior - but your new code represents the break with existing behaviors, no?
I returned to this problem and studied it a little more deeply.
Description.
Assume we set clip=Rectangle[100, 100,-100,-100] for sg2d with a different transform. 1 identity/translate (default mode for non-retina): getClip () will return Rectangle[100, 100,-100,-100]. 2 scale (default mode for retina): getClip() will return Rectangle[0,0,100,100] <- bug and it should be fixed. 3 generic: getClip will return Rectangle[0,0,0,0], because we convert Rectangle to the Shape through RectIterator, which ignores the negative width and height. Note that x and y were not preserved only if w and h<0, but if w = h =0, then x and y will be preserved.

In an original fix I made case 2 like case 1, so from the point of view of users there was no difference in case of retina display. But now I have doubts and I think that all cases shall work equally like in case 3.
What do you think?

            ...jim

--
Best regards, Sergey.