Hi Mike,

Just to confirm and be explicit, the Mac will choose the @2x version of an
image if that call returns 2.0 even if the user is rendering with a transform
that scales by .001?

                ...jim

On 11/12/2013 5:48 PM, Mike Swingler wrote:
On Nov 12, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Jim Graham <james.gra...@oracle.com> wrote:

- It looks like the transform is used in SG2D to decide if the hiDPI image should be
used.  I'm not familiar with the Mac's native use of @2x, but I thought that they hinged
the decision off of the "retina scale" of the display, not off of the current
transform.  That way, if you scale down an icon it doesn't change its look when it
reaches .5x scale (or .75x depending on the cutoff). Personally, I think it is better to
not use the transform to keep animations smooth, but I'm not sure what Apple did.

The -[NSWindow backingScaleFactor] is the basic primitive that other forms of
coordinate translation key off of. Keep in mind that this value will
dynamically change as the window moves from display to display.

Regards,
Mike Swingler
Apple Inc.