On 14/05/2014 09:15, Paul Sandoz wrote:
:
And here what could have been a 2 line change is 25 ..
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/sb/JDK-8041679-buffer-to-builder-media/webrev/src/share/classes/sun/font/StandardTextSource.java.sdiff.html
So I would say leave the variable names alone unless there's a compelling
reason - and I don't see one.
"buf" no longer corresponds to a buffer but to a builder, so i think it is reasonable in
this case to use the canonical "sb" name.
I agree, "buf" or "buffer" looks odd when the type is changed to StringBuilder.

:

This code is under src/share/classes, so it's not clear to me what classes i
can modify and push in the jdk9-dev/jdk repo or not. It's confusing! Is there a
list online somewhere?

Out of all the classes here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/sb/JDK-8041679-buffer-to-builder-media/webrev/

exactly which ones should be pushed to the client forest and which ones to the
jdk9-dev forest? all of them, or just a sub-set?

How long would it take for the changes to the client jdk repo to make it's way
into the jdk9-dev jdk repo?

Really what i am getting at here is i think we need to change our process of
how we manage such forests; we need to consolidate.

I think Sergey and Phil are asking for the bean classes from -core patch and all of -media to be pushed to jdk9/client.

From an approachability perspective then it's total baloney for library changes to take different routes. On the other hand there may be exceptions needed for areas or changes that involve manual or other special testing before integration. There was a lengthy thread on jdk9-dev about the integration forests and processes [1] where this was discussed. I don't recall seeing a boolean result to the questions that asked whether the client libraries require any manual testing before integration. As things stand then what we loosely call "client libraries" are pushed to jdk9/client, everything else is pushed to jdk9/dev. I really hope this can be re-visited soon.

-Alan

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2013-November/000000.html