-- Summary --

I ask for a committer to go into jdk/jdk and add one word to
make/lib/Awt2dLibraries.gmk

We need to go to line 495 and add array-bounds into the list of disabled
warnings.

So this:

DISABLED_WARNINGS_gcc := clobbered implicit-fallthrough
shift-negative-value, \

becomes this:

DISABLED_WARNINGS_gcc := clobbered implicit-fallthrough
shift-negative-value array-bounds, \

This fixes a build-breaking problem which occurs if you don't disable
errors-as-warnings on zLinux or Linux for ppcle.

P.S. Backporting this to jdk8 would be awesome, but the priority is
jdk/jdk.

-- Conversation --

> Am I understanding this correctly that it's really not tied to a gcc
version
> but a cpu architecture, so it's only really affecting s390x?

I'm saying it is tied to a combination of CPU architecture and gcc
version.
Any combination of the affected gcc versions (4.8.5, 5.4.0) and affected
platforms (zLinux, ppcle Linux) see this error.

x86 Linux is not affected, not are gcc versions equal to (or, I assume,
later
than) 7.2.1.

> Are you also saying that gcc 7.2.1 is also affected but with a different

> message? I'm fine with disabling this warning conditional on s390x, no
need
> for specific gcc versions.

I was unclear. 7.2.1 fails my unit test with a different warning, but a
build
I ran proves that this warning doesn't fail the build.

That being said, the addition of this option to a 7.2.1 test didn't seem
break anything, so we should be fine to just stick
"DISABLED_WARNINGS_gcc := clobbered array-bounds" into Awt2dLibraries.gmk.

> This discussion has already taken more time than it really warrants. :)

Agreed. :)

> Regarding warning chasing. I agree that we it's not feasible to chase
down every
> warning in every version of GCC, or any other toolchain, but I also
think that
> for platforms/configurations where people are actively developing
changes for
> OpenJDK, it makes sense to try to keep it clean. This helps prevent new
code from
> introducing warnings. For the configurations Oracle use, we keep a
strict -Werror
> policy because we want the code to be clean. I'm fine with other users
trying to
> keep the same standards on their configurations, but knowing that it
will be their
> responsibility to keep up to date. I also think we need to be reasonably
fine grained
> in when we disable warnings. Specifying every affected version of a
toolchain is too
> much, but if there are specific well defined limits to where the
disabling relevant,
> then I think we should use them, within reason. This also helps with
keeping track
> of why a particular warning is disabled in a future attempt to fix them.

I agree with all of this. Well put. :)

> On the other hand, if you are just building OpenJDK to produce binaries,
without
> producing and up streaming new code changes, there really isn't much
need for
> making the effort of trying to keep things clean, and trying to do so
will likely
> just end up being more work than it's worth.
> /Erik

I'm building OpenJDK to test fixes and new features, which I will
eventually contribute
to OpenJDK. I consider this to be one of those fixes. One fix at a time.
:)

Given all of this, I ask for a volunteer to raise a bug so we can
integrate this change
into JDK8 (as it's still very popular), and JDK.

10 would be great too, though I understand it's locked against all but the
worst bugs.
9 is optional, as it's soon to be replaced by 10.

Best Regards

Adam Farley

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.