The code you suspect has nothing to do with the webrev you list.
It was introduced in fixing https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-7124247
So has been there since JDK 8 GA. Not recent .. perhaps you can tell us
more about your users JDK versions and what is the earliest that reproduces this crash ?

-phil.