Thanks for the response Phil, here’s what I know.

Reports show:

  *   Mac OS – many versions 10.10 through 17.7
  *   Java - 8 u144-b01 (48 reports), 8 u152-b16 (12 reports) 8
u152-release-1136-b5 – JetBrains (1 report)

Comments say:

  *   Screen change event.  I am using the jetbrains JRE, as you can see in the
stack trace.
  *   I am on a mac and product crashes very often when I put my computer to
sleep.
  *   Woke up computer after connecting to two external monitors.

I’ve annotated the function names with links to code I found on the OpenJDK
site and the Apple site.

As an experiment, I created a simple X-Code project to examine how
CFSTringCompare behaves when passed NULL. It does throw an EXC_BAD_ACCESS as is
shown in the below stack trace. My example code is at the end of this message.

Stack trace shows:

[  7] 0x00006000001c5848
<unknown-module>+00000000
[  8] 0x00007fff3cc4e678
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation+00140920

CFStringCompare<https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corefoundation/1542911-cfstringcompare?language=objc>+00000024
[  9] 0x00000001351a80f7 java/jre/maci64/jre/lib/libawt_lwawt.dylib+00119031
getBPPFromModeString<http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/file/687fd7c7986d/src/macosx/native/sun/awt/CGraphicsDevice.m>+00000032
 (see line 32)
[ 10] 0x00000001351a819f java/jre/maci64/jre/lib/libawt_lwawt.dylib+00119199
createJavaDisplayMode<http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/file/687fd7c7986d/src/macosx/native/sun/awt/CGraphicsDevice.m>+00000053
 (see line 130)
[ 11] 0x00000001351a841e java/jre/maci64/jre/lib/libawt_lwawt.dylib+00119838
Java_sun_awt_CGraphicsDevice_nativeGetDisplayMode<http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/file/687fd7c7986d/src/macosx/native/sun/awt/CGraphicsDevice.m>+00000031
 (see line 267)

Example code:

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

static int getBPPFromModeString(CFStringRef mode)

{

    if ((CFStringCompare(mode, CFSTR(kIO30BitDirectPixels),
kCFCompareCaseInsensitive) == kCFCompareEqualTo)) {

        // This is a strange mode, where we using 10 bits per RGB component and
pack it into 32 bits

        // Java is not ready to work with this mode but we have to specify it
as supported

        return 30;

    }

    else if (CFStringCompare(mode, CFSTR(IO32BitDirectPixels),
kCFCompareCaseInsensitive) == kCFCompareEqualTo) {

        return 32;

    }

    else if (CFStringCompare(mode, CFSTR(IO16BitDirectPixels),
kCFCompareCaseInsensitive) == kCFCompareEqualTo) {

        return 16;

    }

    else if (CFStringCompare(mode, CFSTR(IO8BitIndexedPixels),
kCFCompareCaseInsensitive) == kCFCompareEqualTo) {

        return 8;

    }

    return 0;

}

int main(int argc, const char * argv[]) {

    @autoreleasepool {

        // insert code here...

        CFStringRef mode;

        getBPPFromModeString(mode);