Well, having just acquired the Hall and Oats box set I must say they're
serious soul boys.  Their earliest releases were straight up Philly soul.
They have been sampled quite a bit by house music producers.

Chromeo - now there's some straight up retro 80s overkill bandwagon
jumping cheese right there

but hey, if they're playing Bonaroo this year and so is Stevie Wonder...
they should go big and try to book Stevie

Kevin is smack on the point though with the Paxahau/Zappa title comparison

Hey, wasn't Carl Craig supposed to be curating it again?  I thought there
was a press release some time back about that.
Whatever happened to that?
Sorry if this has been covered previously,  I haven't been paying much
attention to the list discussions as I've been in deep into
Free/"Spiritual" Jazz world lately
Can someone repost to me the original email that kicked off this
discussion?

MEK

Kevin Kennedy <the...@gmail.com> wrote on 02/10/2010 10:46:12 AM:

> I found this thread to be interesting.  The issue I have with it is
> not that Hall and Oates aren't relevant to electronic music.  But do
> we really need to push this word of influence any further?  I remember
> them being described as "blue-eyed soul."  "White Motown?"  This
> doesn't have to do with colour for me, but I bring this up for one
> reason-Gillespie and others have latched on to this idea saying that
> hall and oates are as relevant as the other acts being booked for the
> festival.  Sure they are.  I guess I remember it being called the
> Detroit Electronic Music Festival not the Artists Who Are All
> Influenced By Detroit and its Various Sounds and Want to Play in
> Detroit to Validate Their Career Festival.
>
>      I just say that whereas I agree with this thing in principle (I
> know it won't happen unless it's Chromeo and Darryl Hall), I also
> think that we all are forgetting that Paxahau is like a Frank Zappa
> album title:  "were only in this for the money."
>
>     So if it will make dollars, it will make sense.  they'll have a
> publicist tell us why it's relevant, and someone to corral us into a
> line for tickets.
>
>      Oh. and since I'm not from the D, take what I say with a grain of
salt.

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM, lisa <uberg...@optonline.net> wrote:
> > perhaps Oates' moustache could be the opening act, I hear there are
people
> > in Detroit with moustaches who listen to techno ...
> >
> > http://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Oates-Moustache/30246389654
> >
> > lisa
> >

> > telepat...@comcast.net wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe Paxahau should book the CARS. They have nothing to do with
> >> Detroit-Techno, they don't play live anymore but at least they named
> >> themselves after something made in Detroit. ; P
> >> telepathic regards, the Kooky Scientist
> >>
> >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Denise Dalphond"
> >> <ddalp...@umail.iu.edu> To: telepat...@comcast.net Cc: "list 313"
> >> <313@hyperreal.org>, "kent williams" <chaircrus...@gmail.com>
> Sent: Tuesday,
> >> February 9, 2010 10:11:54 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
> Subject: Re: (313)
> >> my WTF Facebook moment for the night
> >> Yeah, I know, but I seriously think it's coming from a strong local
desire
> >> to expand musical genres that are presented at the festival - like
George
> >> Clinton, De La Soul, or Saul Williams in earlier years. And maybe
this is
> >> contrary to popular opinion/assumption, but Detroit techno and
> house artists
> >> in Detroit are really not genre police. Most folks are way more
interested
> >> in educating people about all the different kinds of music that have
been
> >> and continue to be influential to Detroit techno...and house, and
electro,
> >> and booty, and on and on.

> --
> fbk
>
> sleepengineering/absoloop US

Disclaimer
The information in this email and any attachments may contain proprietary and
confidential information that is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are
copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited.  When addressed to our clients or vendors, any information
contained in this e-mail or any attachments is subject to the terms and
conditions in any governing contract. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately contact the sender and delete the e-mail.