tim maughan wrote:

> it really upsets me to watch you all b*tch at each other like this. when i
> was a kid, techno was a unifying force...well, at least here in the UK.

[snip]

> and the poeple i did this with - who i talked, danced, got high, and loved
> with - weren't ANY color. hey - yeah..they were black, asian, white, male,
> female, rich kids, ghetto kids, straight, gay, disabled...but no one cared.
> no one said anything. why? cos only one thing mattered:
>
> techno.

On the dancefloor, yes, absolutely right.

BUT...in the broader social and economic context (from an artists/DJ
point of view) of dealing with the media, promotors, distributors,
fellow DJs and artists, race does matter. *That* is the issue here, not
whether or not race matters in dancing to or listening to music.

In that sense, you could argue that race discussions have no place on
313, if you focus solely on the music. Personally, I feel that
-particularly for Detroit techno- you can't really separate the music
from the environment, which would make it a legitimate topic on 313 IMO.
Especially since some of the people involved are on the list and have an
opportunity to give a first-hand perspective on things as opposed to us
making all kinds of assumptions etc. (case in point: Mad Mike's post to
313 several years ago on the Drexciya controversy)

However, I realize that this is just my opinion and others may not care
for such discussions (not least because aren't always that productive)
and just want the latest release and party info. With that in mind, I'll
try to keep quiet in this thread.

Otto
[EMAIL PROTECTED]