> > While we're on the subject, does anyone have any idea why
> freezing cd's
> > improves them?  I've heard about this technique and it does
> wonders, but I
> > just don't understand why!
> >
> > Basically, you put a cd in the freezer for 48 hours, then
> slowly warm it
> up
> > by putting it in the bottom of the fridge and then the top,
> for something
> > like 12 hours.  It makes such a huge improvement to the
> sound, try it.
> But
> > why?

I believe its something to do with the opacity of the plastic
changing at different temperatures, so at lower temps it is
'more transparent', something to do with the refractive index
of the plastic. Therefore there is less distortion of the
laser passing through the plastic at lower temps,
But I could be wrong, no one seems to agree on this :)

Steve

Something to do with a Voo Doo Doll? Think about it folks, this isn't a record, you can't change what's on the CD or how it's read, all you can do is obstruct it, or clear an obstruction, and a CD player with good oversampling isn't going to be obstructed easily, and when it is, it just skips ahead. There's no "magical missing bit" that gives it "warmth" or "clarity" this is just good old fashioned technophobia, no different than the old bs of using a green or blue highlighter around the rim. people want to believe they can fix or better technology that is far beyond their grasp.

Charlie