why does it need to stay 'reserved for the cool people'???

Did I say that?

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 11:59 Atlantic/Reykjavik, Alex Bates wrote:

why does it need to stay 'reserved for the cool people'???

how long is a piece of string?

ab

-----Original Message-----
From: a [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 12:53 PM
To: 313 Detroit
Subject: Re: (313) Madonna - Detroit

for techno to reach a wider audience in the US and beyond we need

Why must techno reach a wider audience?

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 02:29 Atlantic/Reykjavik, Cyclone Wehner
wrote:

Someone actually wrote to me offlist, saying it's unethical to post
about a
non-techno Detroit artist, and I take that point, and felt momentarily
chastised, but, then again, I feel that in order
for techno to reach a wider audience in the US and beyond we need to
see it
as part of a wider music culture, not isolate it entirely.
It's interesting
that, like Motown's HQ, Madonna felt compelled to leave Detroit -
though, to
be fair, she was determined to be a dancer not singer -
whereas the next generation of techno acts (mostly) stayed and now
Eminem is
staying.
That represents a turnaround. Maybe it's generational? Maybe there is a
sense of 'reclaiming' or 'reasserting' Detroit.
I often wonder if Veronica Electronica, as she once dubbed herself,
knows
that the
'electronica' she has been recording has antecedents in Detroit. She
has
discussed 'techno' in an interview published in Mixmag a few years ago
- in
general terms.
Some industry people are now saying that Detroit is the next music
hotspot
like 'Hotatlanta' was in the 90s. I wonder if there is a sense of this
in
Detroit? What implications does it have for the electronic scene?
I admit I am a fan of Madonna's. I think any female who grew up in the
80s
would see her as more than a pop artist. I don't think I would have
done
what I've done in life without that kind of role model as a kid. Joan
Mitchell has accused her of ushering in the manufactured pop star, and
she
hrself is now retiring because of the malaise in pop, but I feel
Madonna was
more sophisticated. Madonna has wrtten some very brilliant pop. I rate
Ray
Of Light, the last albums were uneven, though.
Incidentally I hear there is an Octave One remix of the new Massive
Attack
single. Anyone know anything more?

Heh, well when was the last time Madonna was IN the Detroit area, and
what
the hell has she ever done for Detroit?

She moved to New York before a lot of 313 subscribers were born...
She's my age for gawdsakes (45) though I'll give it up to her for
being
in better shape than me.

Musically my opinion of Madonna is that she sang on a couple of decent
Jellybean tracks and did OK, but the rest of her stuff is pretty
average
pop music. Voicewise, she has about a 7-half step range, and her
delivery
rarely rises above a jr high glee club level of artistry.

If you want a laugh sometime look at the sheet music for 'Music' -- I
like
the guitar tab, where the verse is G Major, and the Chorus is G
Minor.  I
bet George Gershwin would be jealous...