[Matt Chester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> At the moment, if I press up 800 copies of a release it costs about
> ?1200 (less in N.America), and on a standard price to distributors
> (which = about ?5.50 in the stores) it takes about 500 sales to break
> even.  So to double that price and claim it's to cover costs is
> ridiculous.  Whilst the figures for a small independant label are
> tight as hell, I seriously doubt raising the prices will help -
> distributors and stores would take an accordingly higher cut, and
> sales would probably drop a bit as people find their addictions harder
> and harder to sustain.

But the man isn't trying to just break even.  You're forgetting about
packaging, press, etc. costs, overhead for the label (employees and
such) and the fact that Jeff Mills actually wants to make a living off
of this.  If he sold them for cost, it wouldn't get him anywhere.

That's one thing that always struck me as odd.  I don't know how many
times I've heard people grumble about labels or promoters making money
off of music (not to say you were saying this or that Axis is charging
any sort of a fair price, this is just a tangent)-- I know I even did as
a punk teenager.  After throwing shows and releasing records, I think
it's absurd to ask people to put that much of their money at risk and to
devote that much time and effort to something and only be able to barely
break even, otherwise they're a sellout.

--
:: atomly ::

[ [EMAIL PROTECTED] : www.atomly.com ...
[ atomiq records : po box 805319 chicago il 60680 : 312.804.5389 ...
[ e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] for atomly info and updates ...