On May 31, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Matt MacQueen wrote:

i'll listen with an open mind but this press release gets at the whole problem i have with techno being so technical and 'of the second' it becomes utterly disposable. the second you've heard it it's suddenly irrelevant because another production method has replaced it. when all that's there is technique, pure technique, once that novelty wears off there's nothing underneath it. what is the real artistic statement? Reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes.

I shouldn't read press releases.

--
MM
http://sonicsunset.com

Hey, someone has to experiment, right?

I do agree that the product is more important than the process, but, really, what can you say about the product in a press release? Honestly, this reads better than your average mix CD blurb, which usually can't muster more than a few tired cliches and a bio of the DJ. While this is guilty of that too, at least there is something interesting to say about the mix itself. At the same time, you have to publicize somehow...

I don't think anyone would say that new production and performance techniques have replaced existing ones as much as they have augmented them. And some of my favorite uses of new technology have been to blend old and new in ways that wouldn't otherwise be possible (some of Surgeon's Ableton mixes come to mind).
--
Tim Moore