Name Tom (kat) Evans

Age: 33, virgo power

Live: Berkeley CA usa

Born: Pittsburgh PA

Into Techno since: 1994 into electronics dance music since 1992 (loved those
funky breaks), rave was a great break from the punk scene and it's punker than
thou stuckupidness

Music that got me into detroit techno: T1000 in 1995 in a basement of an
internet startup.  It blew my head off and skooled me.  The next week I ordered
a bunch of records from submerge.

First detroit record to blow my ears off: x-101 UR 13, one of the first records
I bought from a friend

Fave techno Clubs: Mad in SF circa 95 & 96, they brought out a ton of detroit
people  and hawtin and mr. c. and alec empire and just about everybody that was
interesting
me.  They were on a monday night too.

Fave labels: UR, tresor, chain reaction, escaton, scape, database, perlon, blue

Label whose back catalogue I'd I'd most like to magically appear in my
kompakt

Track that I would sell my own grandmother to own: I am post obsession, but
when I really want something sometimes I dream about it and then go to the
record
store and it is there.  Um, magic?  PS I entertain looking at people's want
lists...like all junkies I have record shopped all over the world and have 3-5
crates that I am trying to cycle out of my collection. so send them to me, I
sell on ebay under 23tomcat, but would rather keep such things out of their
greasy hands...

Best ever DJ performance: Hawtin from a couple of years ago, Miss kitten from
last year, dickweed just kidding, luciano for the best 1 hour set paxahau, once
a year me

Best live gig: Zoviet France in 2001 SF.  Deadbeat/monolake from 2 years ago

Best Record shop:  in the US, over the years Open Mind Music has given me
almost everything a eclectic dj could ever lust for.  I liked Formic in
Cologne, they had the same records as Kompakt but at half the prices.  Used
shops in berlin were really great to but this was in 2000.

Record collector or DJ?  I have a few thousand records, I play out less than 5
times a year.  shame