> > Can you please post the output of sudo ipactl restart. I am suspicious
> > it's not a DS issue, but another component of IPA is failing that
> > causes the dirsrv to stop.
> >
> > Can you post the yml of the service command you were using?
> >
> > What version of EL are you running?
>
> This is CentOS 6.7.  I could post the output of 'sudo ipactl restart' but
> that
> wouldn't show the problem.
>
> 1) If I'm logged in to a shell (SSH) it works
> 2) If I do it via "ssh host 'command'" it works
>
> It is only when I invoke it via Ansible that it shows this behavior. Also
> noted: it behaves this way just stand alone (see above). Using just
> /etc/init.d/dirsrv start, it will shut down as soon as the connection goes
> away.  The attached log show the entire process from startup to shutdown.

Please do *not* use /etc/init.d scripts. You *must* use "service <name>
<action>"

> Invoking this (via an ansible shell command) fails to work correctly as well:
>
> - name: Start Dirsrv
>   shell: nohup screen -d -m /usr/sbin/start-dirsrv
>
> So even trying to nohup + using screen to "background" it, it still shuts
> down
> immediately after that 'shell' stanza is done.
>
> Even this fails: nohup screen -d -m /usr/sbin/start-dirsrv & disown

Yes, because this process forks into the background. You would expect it to go
away.

> The ansible output from just invoking /usr/sbin/start-dirsrv is:
>
> changed: [192.168.122.12] => {"changed": true, "cmd": "/usr/sbin/start-
> dirsrv", "delta": "0:00:02.760271", "end": "2016-02-11 12:40:15.909214",
> "rc":
> 0, "start": "2016-02-11 12:40:13.148943", "stderr": "", "stdout": "Starting
> instance \"KUGLER-LOCALDOMAIN\"\nStarting instance \"PKI-IPA\"",
> "stdout_lines": ["Starting instance \"KUGLER-LOCALDOMAIN\"", "Starting
> instance \"PKI-IPA\""], "warnings": []}
>
> So it successfully starts. No errors. But then shuts down right away.

That log shows a clean slapd shutdown, not a termination or crash.

What happens if you use the ansible service module with -vvvv IE:

- name: Start dirsrv
  sudo: yes
  action: service enabled=yes state=restarted

Have you got any esoteric arguments in say /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv? Are you adding
extra cli args like -d 0 to ns-slapd? (That would certainly break it ... ).

Are you running your ansible playbooks at sudo? Trying to start ns-slapd without
privileges would cause issues.

Can you see anything in /var/log/messages?

When you use ansible to control ipa rather than dirsrv directly, does that have
the same issue?

I think the issue is not with dirsrv at all, but with your ansible environment
and how you are trying to start / stop the services....

--
Sincerely,

William Brown
Software Engineer