On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 14:57:20 William Brown wrote:
> Please do *not* use /etc/init.d scripts. You *must* use "service <name>
> <action>"
> > Invoking this (via an ansible shell command) fails to work correctly as
> > well:
> >
> > - name: Start Dirsrv
> >   shell: nohup screen -d -m /usr/sbin/start-dirsrv
> >
> > So even trying to nohup + using screen to "background" it, it still shuts
> > down  immediately after that 'shell' stanza is done.
> >
> > Even this fails: nohup screen -d -m /usr/sbin/start-dirsrv & disown
>
> Yes, because this process forks into the background. You would expect it to
> go away.

Yes, I expect it to fork to the background, but thought that maybe it was
still connected to the forground...somehow.

> That log shows a clean slapd shutdown, not a termination or crash.

Right.

> What happens if you use the ansible service module with -vvvv IE:
>
> - name: Start dirsrv
>   sudo: yes
>   action: service enabled=yes state=restarted

I will set it up and run it again, but the same thing happened. That's how I
originally found it. Actually, I did it with 'ipa' as the service, and the
dirsrv part was stopping right away. The direct invocation of the startup
scripts were subsequent trouble shooting.

> Have you got any esoteric arguments in say /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv? Are you
> adding extra cli args like -d 0 to ns-slapd? (That would certainly break it
> ... ).

No. Just the defaults + whatever IPA installer adds.

> Are you running your ansible playbooks at sudo? Trying to start ns-slapd
> without privileges would cause issues.

Yes, it's all as sudo (installation of packages and all other root-requiring
sutff works).

> Can you see anything in /var/log/messages?

I'll check, but if I remember correctly, no.

> When you use ansible to control ipa rather than dirsrv directly, does that
> have the same issue?

Yes, that's how I originally found the issue.

> I think the issue is not with dirsrv at all, but with your ansible
> environment and how you are trying to start / stop the services....

This is a bog-standard ansible environment. Not sure what I would be doing
wrong. All other services started by Ansible remain running after it
disconnects.

Joshua J. Kugler - Fairbanks, Alaska
Azariah Enterprises - Programming and Website Design
jos...@azariah.com - Jabber: pedah...@gmail.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A